Tuesday 4 March 2014

BFN

Wandering through the colorful aisles at our local Dollarama, I always get a good giggle when I head down the health aisle and see the dollar store pregnancy tests, sitting right next to the dollar store condoms.  I told Bailey once "If you ever use a dollar store condom, you'll be back for the pregnancy test, so don't!".  Now here I stand, at the cash register with my basket full of cheapo pregnancy tests (and we all know that I didn't use the dollar store condoms...It was immaculate conception, or something like that).  

I researched the effectiveness of the dollar store pregnancy tests as I've noticed a lot of women on BabyCenter and other forums swear by them, and they're all pregnant.  I found out that they are actually Health Canada approved and really, what more do I need a urine test to do other than check my pee for HCG.  I figured, not unlike hundreds of other women "Why should I pay $20 for a HPT when they have them for $1.25 and I can check my pee daily on the cheap!"  

Well, I came home and explained to Lance that I'd spent a small fortune on said tests and that I wanted to do one.  Wise old Lance retorted with "Why don't you just wait?"  Why?  Because this is pure torture!!!  I hate this not-knowing!  I hate questioning every feeling I get in my body and wandering if it's a symptom of pregnancy or my own insanity.  

I pee'd on that stick.

I got a BFN.  For you guys that have no idea what a BFN is, or the HPT, HCG and all the other acronyms that I will probably use now that I'm part of this secret society of pregnant ladies... BFN means "BIG FAT NEGATIVE".  The other ones, you can look up yourselves.  :P

Anyway... I half expected to get the BFN as I had done the math before hand.

Trigger shot = Feb 20th @ 10pm.  Lasts in your body from 9-14 days.
Embryo Transfer = Feb 27th @ 11am.  Implantation takes approximately 5 days after the transfer to complete.

So basically, I'm in this not-pregnant limbo, but I have ruled out the possibility of having the trigger shot still in my system.. So basically now, all I have to do is wait, and pee on a stick every day until we hopefully get our BFP (This one's easy!).  

I'm trying to stay as positive as I can, but even though I expected it to be negative, a little piece of me wanted to see a really strong positive.  

I shall report more on my findings tomorrow!  


5-Day Transfer

Days Past
Transfer (DPT)
Embryo Development
OneThe blastocyst begins to hatch out of its shell
TwoThe blastocyst continues to hatch out of its shell and begins to attach itself to the uterus
ThreeThe blastocyst attaches deeper into the uterine lining, beginning implantation
FourImplantation continues
FiveImplantation is complete, cells that will eventually become the placenta and fetus have begun to develop
SixHuman chorionic gonadotropin (hCG) starts to enter the blood stream
SevenFetal development continues and hCG continues to be secreted
EightFetal development continues and hCG continues to be secreted
NineLevels of hCG are now high enough to detect a pregnancy
I am on day 5 according to this chart from the NYU Fertility Center, so there's still hope for us yet!!!  

No comments:

Post a Comment