Wednesday 12 February 2014

Bring On The Psycho!

Ok, so I'm not really sure if this is a sign of things to come, or if it's purely circumstantial, but I've heard from numerous people that they know someone who has gone through IVF and the hormone injections made them irrational, insane, unbalanced and just plain crazy.
I felt pretty good yesterday. I'm on 150iu Menopur in the morning and 300iu Gonal F in the evening, and yesterday I remembered thinking that I should be able to coast through this whole hormone injection process without showing my crazy side.

Well, that was yesterday.

I was driving to work on this rainy morning, singing along to Katy Perry's "Roar" when suddenly, my passenger side windshield wiper flew off.  I pulled over and tried to reattach it, but the clip was missing.  I jammed it on the wiper-arm as best as I could, gave it a test swipe then went on my merry way.  Not!  As soon as I picked up speed the rain hit the windshield harder and when I turned the wiper back on again, it flew off again.  I screamed a profanity.  "F***", except it lasted for at least 30 seconds, was really high pitched and went more like this "Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu**!!!" 



I was terrified.  It was dark, and now the rain had picked up to a torrential downpour.  I only had one headlight, and now one wiper.  Every time I tried to wipe the other blade, the metal-on-glass sound from the passenger side wiper arm would deafen me, but I had no choice.  I pulled over four times during the 30 minute drive to work, shaking, scared and wet.   

If this had happened in the city, I may have survived the drive with my emotions intact, but it didn't.  I was on a "curly" stretch of highway that goes through the mountains.  The only light is the moon, which of course was nowhere to be seen this morning, due to the foreboding storm clouds above.  I white knuckled it the rest of the way to Hope, pulled off at the first exit in hopes that the Husky Gas Station had wipers.  

What I didn't expect to happen was that the last nerve that I had left would suddenly snap the minute I walked through that door and the wet, mascara covered mess that I was would burst into tears and sobs while I failed to make any form of sense.  Now, I don't like to make light of serious issues, but if you can imagine... It's 6:30am, it's dark and wet, I'm looking more than a little disheveled, bawling my eyes out uncontrollably, and I'm in a sketchy part of town.  I can only imagine what the store clerk and the old trucker guy, standing at the counter sipping on a gas station coffee thought... Obviously I had been attacked.  They both ran over to help me and I could see the relief in their faces when they finally realized that I just wanted a wiper.  I felt pretty silly.  

The trucker guy spent the next 20 minutes standing with me trying to install the new wiper blade in the middle of a hurricane (maybe that's a slight exaggeration, but it felt like it at the time).  Finally, the stupid thing was on and I had managed to pull myself together enough to get to work only 2 minutes late!  I remember looking in the rear-view mirror as I pulled into the parking lot and saying to myself "You're frigging insane!"  

Thank you, Mr. Trucker Guy for helping me, and sorry that you thought that I'd been attacked!  

At least the rest of the day can't get any worse, can it?  

No comments:

Post a Comment