Sunday 16 February 2014

Oh, The Wonderful Side Effects

We paid the cycle fee yesterday.  Goodbye $7700.00... It was nice knowing you!  That's a lot of money to spend on a gamble!  Please, please, please be worth it!!!

So, side effects.  I know that every drug has its side effects, and that the drug manufacturers have to list them all, which is why I intentionally don't read the side effects of medications that I have to take.  Mostly due to the reason that if I read it, it will happen.  I have quite a suggestive personality.  

The hormone injections aren't all that bad other than making my ovaries hurt occasionally, and my stomach is itchy from all the needle pokes.  The side effects that are really bugging me are from the 3,432,456,543 pills that I am taking every day.  

1 Feramax Supplement (for my anemia)
1 Wonderfully constipating Ferrous Fumarate (Also for anemia)
1 Prenatal Vitamin (Also contains iron.  Blech!)
1 Docusate (to counteract all the pills I'm taking for anemia)
4 extra Folic Acid pills (because nobody likes birth defects!)
I'm considering adding some Vitamin D as a new study has suggested that Canadians have a lower level of Vit D due to our crummy weather, and IVF has a lower success rate with patients who have a lower level of good old Vitamin Sunshine.  

On a good day, I'm not excellent at taking pills.  I frequently gag during the process and have to try multiple times to swallow each pill. Last night, I had just finished my Gonal F injection, and moved on to the pills... I took my time, taking breaks inbetween each one.  I got to the last folic acid and felt that feeling deep at the back of my throat.  I started gagging.  

Lance has become immune to this happening, especially lately, so he didn't flinch... Until I gagged for the 3rd time, then threw up all over the floor!  He jumped up so quickly, looked at me and said "Why didn't you put your hands in front of you???"  Um, because it's puke... And I didn't have a lot of reaction time!  Also, I don't like to catch vomit...I am a nurse... We do anything possible to dodge puke!  

Luckily the dog wasn't around because he loves nothing more than a fresh pile of puke, and that would have probably made me puke again.  

Today I think I'll crush my pills up in some yogurt, also, I need to learn to chew up my dinner a bit better.  :(


No comments:

Post a Comment