Friday 14 February 2014

My Family And Friends Are Sadistic!

The human race is a curious one.  Whenever I pull out my little "injection kit", I round up a bit of an audience.  Everyone wants to take a turn stabbing at me.  I'm not really sure how I should take that.

Are they genuinely wanting to help me with my injections as it is a bit nerve wracking the first few times you have to do it, or do they actually want to cause me pain for all the times I've pissed them off?

The first injection I had to do was around my rather curious 14 year old.  She is not afraid of needles.  When she was 12 years old I came home to her having three new ear piercings that she did herself. (Weirdo).  She wanted to watch, which was fine.  What wasn't fine was the sadistic grin she had on her face at the expense of my nerves!  She offered to do the shot for me and when I said no, she laughed, maniacally!

That evening I had to do the Gonal F pen.  I've never used a pen-style syringe before so I carefully read the instructions, unaware that Lance and Bailey were enjoying every moment of my pain!  Lance had even secretly recorded a video of me trying to prepare myself.  I suggested that I go remove myself to another room where I could have a little privacy, but they wanted to watch.  Lance offered to give me the injection.  I declined.  

What is with people wanting to stab me???



The next morning I have to go to work.  I have to be there for 7am, and my shot is due at 8am.  My Team Leader is quite interested in watching me reconstitute the vials of Menopur and offers to do the shot for me.  I ran off to the bathroom and locked myself in there to do it myself.  It's really hard to give yourself an injection in the belly when you're standing!  

That evening I have to do the pen-style injection again and I had stayed at my parents (which I normally do inbetween shifts), and my Mum... Same thing "Oh, I'll do that injection for you" and then she followed me around the house calling me a pansy until I finally drove that needle into my gut!  

The next day, Gillian (one of my favorite RNs to work with, and one that I have actually let stab me with a needle before ... In the ear of all places!  Haha) offered about a dozen times to poke me, but again... I kind of have to do it myself.  I think it's a control thing.  Also, I'm a little scared and overwhelmed at the amount of people that want to hurt me!  

I'm now on day 4 of the injections and while I don't think I'll ever like needles, I'm getting better at giving them to myself.  It is a bit of an eye-opener for me to eat and drink a bit healthier though.  I'd make a horrible diabetic!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment